Matterport Brings 3D Capture to Mobile
We’re excited by Google’s Project Tango, Intel’s RealSense, and other initiatives to get 3D sensors built into the next generation of phones and tablets. These sensors enable Matterport to bring its high-quality 3D capture and reconstruction to mobile devices.
The future of 3D media is mobile. As 3D sensors start showing up in phones and tablets, Matterport’s software will be an app enabling millions of people to capture, share, and interact with the world around them in visually rich 3D. We’ve been adapting our technology to these emerging platforms over the last few months, and we have some exciting results to show.
We felt it was important to make this app extremely responsive and real-time so that users can see a 3D model coming together continuously as they move freely around the space they’re capturing. The capture process is easy, fun, and natural.
Early preview of our mobile 3D Capture app
Of course we will continue to offer the Matterport Pro 3D Camera in addition to developing this mobile offering. Think of our professional camera as the 3D equivalent of the sort of high-quality DSLR that any pro photographer would use to make top-quality 3D media like our 3D Showcase™, while the mobile version will be what everyone will have in their pockets for capturing their everyday world in 3D.
And here is a video showing the first space captured from using a Matterport prototype app running on a Tango device. Or you can explore the 3D model here.
Matterport and Google Project Tango in the News
- - Engadget: Here’s an early look at Google Project Tango’s indoor mapping abilities Read More
- - TechCrunch: Here’s An Actual 3D Indoor Map Of A Room Captured With Google’s Project Tango Phone Read More
- - SlashGear: Google Project Tango demo shows just what 3D mapping can do Read More
- - Phandroid: This is what a Project Tango 3D map looks like Read More
- - TechRadar: First look at a 3D map created with Google’s Project Tango Read More
- - BGR: Video: Here’s how Google’s Project Tango maps indoor spaces Read More
- - Afterdawn: Here is the first 3D indoor map using Google’s Project Tango prototype device Read More
- - Engadget: Google Project Tango 室內建模能力搶先看（影片) Read More
- - TechCrunch Japan: ビデオ: GoogleのProject Tangoで室内を3D撮影するとこうなる Read More
- - Computer Hoy: Aquí tienes el primer render del Proyecto Tango de Google Read More