Trieste, Italy, was one of the first ports in the world to be equipped with a hydrodynamic plant. Built in 1890, the building is an example of the popular Rundbogenstil German Romanesque architecture. The plant took water from the water system to supply energy to different points for consumption, including quay cranes, external cranes, and internal hoists in the port warehouses. The hydrodynamic plant operated until 1983. It is beautifully restored and the machines, though not functioning, are in good condition. The building is now a museum for the old port.